Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Benefits of a Sadly Neglected Yard

There are some, you know.  Why there's the added privacy since the neighbors can't see through the dense greenery.  Noise is reduced for the same reason.  Plus, all that extra time gained by not slaving away in the hot sun.  And if you're really bad (like me) you may just be rewarded with a decent crop of tasty, nutritious blackberries.

I have some texture issues and can't stand eating blackberries, raspberries, and their furry, clammy kin.  But I do like the flavor just fine and I know there's all kind of nutrition packed into berries so baking or syrups are the way to go for me.

It's supposed to get beastly hot again soon so I thought a batch of blackberry-mint syrup would be perfect for cool drinks.  All you need are a few ingredients and 15 minutes or so and you, too, can have the loveliest syrup for cool drinks and cocktails.


  • 3 C blackberries, rinsed and de-spidered (seriously, I found one of these guys hiding in  my berries and it did not want to leave)
  • 1/3C sugar
  • A few handfuls of fresh mint leaves 
  • 1/4 C water
Combine everything in a saucepan and simmer gently until berries are broken down. Cool, strain syrup, and chill. 

Serve over pancakes or ice cream or yogurt or mixed with fizzy water and lemon juice 


Some notes:  I would have used honey rather than sugar if I hadn't just run out.

I added some lemon balm leaves along with the mint because they are calming, balancing, and pretty much everywhere you look in my yard.

I used my wonderful nylon nut milk bag
to separate the juice from the leaves and seeds and other bits of debris.  

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment